Putting a call out to someone on the South side of Canberra who would be available for mentoring new beekeepers

For all things bees and beekeeping!
SharonandPeter2017

Putting a call out to someone on the South side of Canberra who would be available for mentoring new beekeepers

Post by SharonandPeter2017 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:47 pm

Hi, my name is Sharon and I am looking for some info and tips on what to do next regarding a swarm of bees I caught on the 11/10/17, initially I caught the bees in a cardboard box and moved them to a shed as we were expecting rainfall, they were in the cardboard box for a few days while I waited for a brood box to arrive from Flow, when it arrived I moved the swarm into the brood box, it was then I noticed honeycomb and honey had been made.
The next day I discovered the bees had left the brood box but the following day they had re swarmed back in the shed so I re caught them and put them back into the brood box. They have now been in the brood box for two days and are situated in their permanent position. They seem to be happy and settling in. Anyway, I have now reached the point where I am not sure what to do next. Firstly, I'm not sure if there is a queen in the box, I'm also not sure if I should open the box and disturb them to try and find the queen without proper guidance and direction. The brood box has 4 foundation less frames placed in the centre of the box and I am worried that they may produce cross comb if I leave them too long. Our flow hive has arrived but as yet it hasn't been put together or painted, this will hopefully be done by tomorrow afternoon. If anyone is interested in pointing me in the right direction it would be most appreciated. I tried to attend the meeting last night to touch base with someone but unfortunately I was unable to make it. I am keen on doing some training but unfortunately due to my roster I won't be able to book in at this time.
My phone number is 0458 171 108. Kind regards, Sharon