The 2017 harvest so far

For all things bees and beekeeping!
RBK

The 2017 harvest so far

Post by RBK » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:03 am

Evening all.

The forum has been a bit slow lately so I thought I would put together some of my harvest photos from 2017. If you are a regular on the Flow forum you may have seen some of the photos, but plenty of new ones too! How is everyone else going?

I use ideal frames in the supers and have extracted several full (10 frame) boxes already in 2017, with a couple more close to full. As you can see from the frame markings, the frames only went in (as foundation) in November 2016, so quick to draw/fill:

Decided to trial using a roller this year over an uncapping knife

Loaded in the extractor (takes 8 ideal frames)

Honey straining

I had a full depth frame that I ended up gravity straining over 3 days, managed 5 jars of honey out of the single frame.

Also have a Flow hive with an ideal super beneath the Flow box for reserves, the ideal is completely capped and the bees are moving up into the Flow frames.. so who knows.. the Flow frames might actually produce :D

If you're on the Flow forum, drop me a message.. keen to hear how other Flow hivers are going in the region!
http://forum.honeyflow.com/users/RBK/summary

Dermot

Re: The 2017 harvest so far

Post by Dermot » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:07 am

Nice pics. I reckon you're closer to an exception rather than the rule. The only honey I've harvested this season has come from rehoming colonies

Dick

Post by Dick » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:13 pm

This is a valuable discussion for locals. I think it is a very bad season and last year too.

I have some 8 frame hives in Curtin and Yarralumla. Normally at this time of year the bees would be filling up a third box but this year they are struggling to fill up a second box for Winter.

I have been hoping to harvest honey from my flow hive (now 2 flow hives) for over 12 months now. if things don't improve, it might be another 12 months.

Configuration
20170212_flow2.2.jpg
(2.02 MiB) Downloaded 52 times
Best frame from flow hive 1
20170212_flow1.jpg
Best frame from flow hive 1
(2.6 MiB) Downloaded 52 times
Best frame from flow hive 2
20170212_flow2.jpg
(6.51 MiB) Downloaded 52 times

RBK

Post by RBK » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:20 pm

Took some more frames out for extraction. First photo is from 4th of March (several more were taken at the same time). Was very dark honey in these frames.

Second photo is from this afternoon (3 of 6 removed).

As you can probably tell.. I love my ideal frames :lol: