Hive Identification

For all things bees and beekeeping!
laurie

Hive Identification

Post by laurie » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:39 pm

hi folks,
Now that I have my new ACT beekeepers registration id I'm contemplating how best to apply it to equipment and am curious how other people are doing it.

eg
Are you putting the full "ACT00xxx" identifier on ?
- or just "ACTxxx" assuming most/all of us have 3 digit identifiers at this stage?
- or is there a reasonable short form that doesn't clash with other states, like say "Axxx" ?

Are you using a brand or paint?

Branding seems like a nice long term option but a rather expensive one, particularly with an 8 character id and even more expensive if considering branding frames with smaller text.

I'm leaning towards coughing up the money for a branding iron with interchangeable 25mm characters to handle ACTxxx or Axxx (if I can confirm that 'A' doesn't clash with any other state).

Thomas

Re: Hive Identification

Post by Thomas » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:32 pm

I like the idea of branding. Where are you getting the branding iron?

Jonj

Post by Jonj » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:43 pm

The Association had a branding iron made, but so far, I don't think we have used it and I don't know where it came from.
Bear in mind, how many hives are you planning to own, and how often will you be replacing the boxes?
An indelible magic marker works well and complies. I cut out my code (NSW) from cardboard in the form of a stensil and have used spray can and a paint brush. Both work and are a lot cheaper than branding.

laurie

Post by laurie » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:50 am

Thomas wrote:Where are you getting the branding iron?
I'm still looking around for options (and/or whether I can really justify the cost compared to stencil and paint like jonj)

Options I've found include:
ebay branding iron from Goran on nzbees.net forum

or perhaps one of these (because then Kailee would only need to chip in for two extra digits for her brand )
brandingirons.com interchangeable char holder