New Flow Hive bee boxes

For all things bees and beekeeping!
djakkj47

New Flow Hive bee boxes

Post by djakkj47 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:11 am

Hello

Does anyone know anything about the new Flow Hive http://www.honeyflow.com/ bee boxes that are being sold. They cut down the amount of stress to the bees and the honey flows out the base of the hive box, so less work in spinning the frames hence less stress on the bees?

thanks

Dave
Dave Green :)

Ammat66

Re: New Flow Hive bee boxes

Post by Ammat66 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:16 pm

I've just come across the new Flow Hives and this has piqued my interest in beekeeping. It's all over the internet at the moment and the father/son inventors are going to be on Australian Story tonight (Monday 26 October 2015) on the ABC. The website is at http://www.honeyflow.com/ and although prices are in US dollars this is still an Australian company now manufacturing out of Brisbane (although the young man heading it and his family are from Nimbin).

This is a VERY exciting invention that might even make it possible for vegans to eat honey as the bees are not harmed using this method. The price for the full kit is US$699 and although one of the websites I visited promised it could be converted to AUD I can't find it. First shipments are being made in March 2016 and I would hazard a guess the people ordering from them now might have to wait at least a couple of months as no doubt the crowd funders will have their items sent out first (and I believe I read that there are 24,000 units being sent out just to the crowd funders). After tonight's Australian Story I have no doubt that there will be many more orders. The only thing stopping me ordering is that the funds are paid immediately and wait time is prohibitively long, although I think I ought to start learning about beekeeping before jumping in just because it's been made so much easier (and Canberra has such tricky weather).

Anyway, I hope this is something to get you started. There are terrific short videos on the site to show you what's what and I for one will be watching tonight on the ABC.

RBK

Post by RBK » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:47 pm

I am assuming the timing of both posts is due to tonight's Australian Story?

I'd say most beekeepers are acutely aware of the FlowHive's existence.

It's a great invention, but extracting the honey is only about 30% of the beekeeping story, you are still going to need to 'disturb the bees' and take the top box off to inspect the brood, queen (queen cells to prevent swarming) and bottom box frequently for pests and disease, flow frames or not... it doesn't create a care free honey vending machine.

Jagungal

Post by Jagungal » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:28 am

We got one of these for our office apiary, and so far so good.

We are running the brood box with open frames so that they can build natural comb, and we will wait until that is fully established before adding the super with the flow frames.

Nice build quality in the kit that arrived, and we had a lot of fun putting it together as an office.

Some photos are here: https://www.instagram.com/p/-YkkXvxsnp/

I haven't noticed myself becoming any more evil since owning one, and the bees seem to really like it, so apparently they still are not on social media.

Enjoy!

Cormac

Dick

Flow™ Super - Hybrid 3 Frame fits a 8 frame sized Langstroth box

Post by Dick » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:13 pm

After a 9month wait my Flow arrived and was ready for use.
20160109_flow.jpg
(191.58 KiB) Downloaded 1582 times
An interested group assembled for the ceremonial placing of the super on the hive. This is the interested group.
20160116_flow1.jpg
(88.16 KiB) Downloaded 1582 times
This is the uninterested group.
20160116_flow1a.jpg
(252.39 KiB) Downloaded 1582 times
[Aside]. The cat was determined to stop the sun melting the wax.
20160116_flow2.jpg
(254.47 KiB) Downloaded 1582 times
There were reports on social media that the bees may not be keen to use the Flow hive plastic comb so the cells were sprayed with a solution of sugar and water for a bit of encouragement.
20160116_flow4.jpg
(134.65 KiB) Downloaded 1582 times
This option of flow hive needs to be supplemented with 4 traditional frames. Shown here with new frames.
20160116_flow5.jpg
(90.34 KiB) Downloaded 1582 times
Time to remove the existing super and replace it with the Flow hive super.
20160116_flow6.jpg
(280.31 KiB) Downloaded 1582 times
But first we'll replace those new traditional frames with some frames full of bees, honey and maybe some brood. Again to encourage bees into the Flow hive super.
20160116_flow7.jpg
(218.07 KiB) Downloaded 1582 times
The Flow hive honey super goes back over the queen excluder.
20160116_flow8.jpg
(246.34 KiB) Downloaded 1582 times
It takes two to get the lid straight.
20160116_flow9.jpg
(228.47 KiB) Downloaded 1582 times
Voila
20160116_flow11.jpg
(218.99 KiB) Downloaded 1582 times
A few bees investigate the plastic comb imediately.
20160116_flow12.jpg
(102.21 KiB) Downloaded 1582 times
And the window shows them continuing to process the honey in the traditional frames.
20160116_flow13.jpg
(150.34 KiB) Downloaded 1582 times
Many thanks to Po for the photos.

beesknees

Post by beesknees » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:48 pm

It would be unsettling for the bees to have the plastic honeycomb cracked open while they are still in the hive.
The honey can be extracted using an uncapping fork and gravity so less stress on the bee keeper not having to pay for an expensive honey extractor.
It is unnatural to have plastic hives and combs because in the wild the bees build hives in tree trunks and it is part of their job in life to make the honey comb themselves to breed and store honey and pollen.
Many bee keepers want to use not only the honey but also the pollen in the honey and comb to make cosmetics, to use the wax for bee hive maintenance, to make health drinks and for the great health benefits of pollen - vitamins A,B,C,D and K.
This move away from natural methods of bee keeping is more about the easy honey production and the bee keeper than the health and happiness of the bees!
On behalf of bees everywhere that don't have a twitter account yet
#No Flow!

RBK

Post by RBK » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:18 pm

beesknees wrote:It would be unsettling for the bees to have the plastic honeycomb cracked open while they are still in the hive.
The honey can be extracted using an uncapping fork and gravity so less stress on the bee keeper not having to pay for an expensive honey extractor.
It is unnatural to have plastic hives and combs because in the wild the bees build hives in tree trunks and it is part of their job in life to make the honey comb themselves to breed and store honey and pollen.
Many bee keepers want to use not only the honey but also the pollen in the honey and comb to make cosmetics, to use the wax for bee hive maintenance, to make health drinks and for the great health benefits of pollen - vitamins A,B,C,D and K.
This move away from natural methods of bee keeping is more about the easy honey production and the bee keeper than the health and happiness of the bees!
On behalf of bees everywhere that don't have a twitter account yet
#No Flow!
How does using Flow frames impact the collection/harvesting of pollen? especially with the Flow frames up in the brood box.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't run a pollen trap on the hive with Flow frames in the super... can you elaborate?

At what point does a method of beekeeping stop being natural? is keeping bees in a box natural?

Dick

Re: New Flow Hive bee boxes - progress

Post by Dick » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:03 pm

It has been 5 weeks since the Flow hive super went on the hive.

I've been checking every day through the end viewer and there is activity but it didn't look like any honey in the end cells. Some news today warranted a closer look. Fortunately - or unfortunately as it turns out - this hive was part of a bee health survey and today the results came back. A high spore count for Nosema ceranae. Not having had this diagnosed before I don't know how it will affect the amount of honey to be collected. On top of this, there hasn't been a great deal of honey around Canberra this year.
20160223_flow1.jpg
(5.83 MiB) Downloaded 1405 times
When the bees are removed, you can see a few cells with honey but most effort so far seems to have been filling the gaps in the cells. That little black blob along the bottom is a small hive beetle
20160223_flow2.jpg
(4.11 MiB) Downloaded 1405 times

Dick

Re: New Flow Hive bee boxes, update

Post by Dick » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:58 pm

Try as they might, this hive has not managed to put more than this amount of honey in the flow frames. Methinks time has run out this season, in Canberra at least.
20160321_flow.jpg
(4.23 MiB) Downloaded 1259 times

MattG

Post by MattG » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:22 pm

Hi Dick,
I'm a beginner beekeeper and a new member to the association.

I'm in the process of learning all I can and obtaining equipment with the aim of getting a hive up and running next spring.

One of the options I'm considering is the flowhive.

Do you think the lack of honey in your hive is as a result of the flowhive equipment, or is it due to a general lack of honey in Canberra this year?

Thanks

Matt.