Advice on bees and setting up

For all things bees and beekeeping!
Zac

Advice on bees and setting up

Post by Zac » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:46 am

Hi

I’m looking for some advice / assistance with with a which have taken up residence behind some old cedar panels on our house.

I should also note that the bees appear to have separated (swarm ??) and are trying to se up a second location on the side of the house.

This is the second time we have removed the bees after employing a bee keeper a few years ago, he came and collected the bees and shifted them to a new hive and took them away. But there back and very happy.

Now I should add we are finishing renovating our house so the cedar panels are going and being replaced with matrix panels so the area the bees are coming from will be sealed.

We noticed one of our neighbours has proper bee hives (not where our bees came from) and this got us thinking about getting our own hives. The bees are happy and so is our garden so we want to put in a few hives using the bees we have to house there, is this possible.

Also as non bee keepers we wanted to find out if there is a process or people who house hives at peoples yards in exchange for honey?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

RBK

Re: Advice on bees and setting up

Post by RBK » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:19 pm

Zac wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:46 am
This is the second time we have removed the bees after employing a bee keeper a few years ago, he came and collected the bees and shifted them to a new hive and took them away. But there back and very happy.
It's a new swarm of bees in the same location (most likely from your neighbours hive). It is extremely common for subsequent swarms to assemble in the same/similar locations.
Zac wrote:
We noticed one of our neighbours has proper bee hives (not where our bees came from) and this got us thinking about getting our own hives. The bees are happy and so is our garden so we want to put in a few hives using the bees we have to house there, is this possible.
What makes you believe that the bees didn't originally come from your neighbour? It's highly likely they did. Yes it's possible to re-home them, but complexity will depend on how established they are in the wall cavity. If it's the swarm you want to establish in a hive, this is straightforward.
Zac wrote:
Also as non bee keepers we wanted to find out if there is a process or people who house hives at peoples yards in exchange for honey?
This is commonly called agistment. You will find most of the schemes setup locally require the property owner to pay for the hive to be hosted/managed on their land and they will receive a portion of the honey produced. You may find a beekeeper willing to locate a hive on your property in exchange for honey, but many who start by offering this service underestimate the amount of management effort required.

Zac

Re: Advice on bees and setting up

Post by Zac » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:09 am

Thanks for the response

Firstly I believe our bees were in place before the Neighbours got there hives, I’m pretty sure the hives are a newish thing let’s say six months max and the bees have been back in the wall longer.

I’m happy to agist bees / hives and happy to buy some hives to set up. We have been quoted several hundred dollars to have the bees removed again and from what I can see I can get a hive for pretty much the same amount of money.

That said this is not an economic decision, the bees are happy and our garden is happy so if I can give them there own home and get some honey out of the deal I’ll be happy.