Hive pests and diseases

For all things bees and beekeeping!
EliDunn

Hive pests and diseases

Post by EliDunn » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:54 am

Hi my name is Eli my wife and I live in Wanniassa where we own a big block and a single hive in sunny position at the back of our yard.

We purchased a nuc from Bindaree Bee Supplies about about 12 months ago. The hive has been doing very well up until now. The bees wintered well and their population increased enormously over the last few weeks. I placed a second deep box on top about 3 weeks ago. The population continued to grow and they have now nearly filled two deep boxes full of honey. The only sign of disease is the occasional hive beetle lavae on the bottom board but no sign of lavae in the hive itself.

Over the last couple of days and in my last hive inspection I noticed an increasing number of bees with the k-wing deformity. I also noticed more bees are crawling on the ground near the hive and the hive population seems to have dropped since a week ago. Today the population seems drastically lower and a significant proportion of the bees have k-wing deformity. These changes have all been very sudden, taking place over about a week.

Any advice for further examination, testing or empiric treatments? What is the process of alerting a notifiable disease in ACT?

Thanks for your help

EliDunn

Re: Hive pests and diseases

Post by EliDunn » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:55 am

Today I opened the hive and carefully went through each frame. I wasn’t able to locate the queen, I saw very few worker brood cells, more common were drone brood cells. Hardly any open cells with lavae visible. Nearly all honey cells.

Dick

Post by Dick » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:42 pm

Maybe the hive has swarmed Eli and a new queen is not active. The new queen can take some weeks to get going. Although this would not explain dead bees or funny wings. Perhaps the bees have been affected by a neighbour's spraying. K wing is a symptom of Tracheal mite which is not known to be present in Australia yet.

EliDunn

Post by EliDunn » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:44 pm

Thanks, you were right,I found the swarm in the neighbours yard today.

Cheers

Eli