Quilt design for Warre hives

For all things bees and beekeeping!
Viv

Quilt design for Warre hives

Post by Viv » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:40 am

Hi, I have built 2 Warrés over the winter following the original plans and all I need to do before I get my bees is finish off the Quilt boxes!

Here is my question: what is the best Quilt design?

1) At the bottom of the quilt, should I stapple flyscreen or calico? I have read that hessian is treated so that rats don't eat it. No thanks!
2) Should I also add a metal grid (or calico?) between the quilt box and the top box so the bees don't glue them together? If so, should this be cut to the external dimensions or slightly narrower? My roof is deep and covers the join between the quilt and the top box so I am not sure the bees would try and seal that.
3) Also, should I completely fill the quilt with wood shavings or just add some so half the box is filled?
4) The quilt is covered by a piece of wood so I assume I don't have to cover the wood shavings with cloth?

Thanks for your help!

Jonj

Re: Quilt design for Warre hives

Post by Jonj » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:53 am

Viv

1. Calico, it can breathe and absorb moisture - The original design calls for hessian that has been smeared with a mixture of flour & water to a) give it rigidity and b) stop the bees biting through it. Steel fly wire is a cheap alternative.
2. The top cloth, either hessian or fly wire should be cut to the external measurements so it is easier to peel off. The bees will propolise it. Fly wire is cheap enough to replace each inspection.
3. As for filling the quilt, I do, others don't - it depends on the climate.
4. Yes, the quilt filling needs to be accessible, so you can replace it, fluff it up etc. The top board is usually painted white so that you can write your inspection visits/findings on it.

Jon

Viv

Post by Viv » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:14 pm

Thank you so much for your prompt and detailed reply, Jon!!
I'll keep a separate journal as my quilt will be closed by a board sealed to the roof (as in the original Warré plans).

VictoriaGal

Post by VictoriaGal » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:32 pm

Hi, I am also making a quilt design but new here and hope so I will be successful in it!
Love Animals

RBK

Post by RBK » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:06 pm

Viv,

Interested which original plans you followed? Were they from the 5th or the 12th edition of Warre's book?

Are you using movable frames or fixed/movable top bars?

If frames, which frame design did you decide on?

-edit-

Not to hijack the thread, but I put some information together re: Warre frame design which may be of interest to people reading the thread:
http://forum.canberrabees.com/t/warre-h ... om-1923/23

Viv

Post by Viv » Wed May 17, 2017 4:34 pm

Hi RBK,

Sorry for the late reply - I haven't checked the forum for ages.

I am not sure which version of the Warré book I used, it's the online PDF.
I decided to go with movable top bars after all. Worked really well, but this year was rubbish for my bees.

Cheers,
Viv