Club Meetings and Upcoming Speakers for 2017

Monthly Meetings
Jagungal

Club Meetings and Upcoming Speakers for 2017

Post by Jagungal » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:01 pm

Meetings of the Beekeepers Association of the ACT will be held on the third Thursday of the month (except December) at 7:30pm

Yarralumla Primary School Hall
24 Loftus Street
Act 2600

We are starting back with meetings on Thursday 19th January from 7:30pm.

The meeting will focus on Gadgets and Hints to improve your Beekeeping, hosted by Dermot and Sarah.

We will also be showing how to prepare your flow frames for bees in the colder Canberra conditions.

Cormac

Jagungal

Re: Club Meetings and Upcoming Speakers for 2017

Post by Jagungal » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:05 pm

The February meeting is this Thursday,16th

The club has received a donated Flow Hive which we will be putting together. We will also be demonstrating how to prime the Flow Frames with wax.

Venue:
Yarralumla Primary School Hall
24 Loftus Street, Act 2600

Future speakers program is below:
16th February - Langstroth & Flow Hive primer (Cormac Farrell/Dick)
16th March - Pesticide Stress in Honeybees (Dr Amy Paten)
20th April - AGM (hard liquor optional but recommended)
18th May - Top Bar Hive primer (Jon Justin)
15th June - Biosecurity and Health of Australia's Managed and Wild Honeybees (Dr John Roberts)
20th July - Warre Beekeeping (Warren/Cormac)
17th August - Spring Preparation/Swarm Catching (Jeff/Dermot/Sarah)

Dermot

Re: Club Meetings and Upcoming Speakers for 2017

Post by Dermot » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:08 am

Our speaker this Thursday 16th November will be Ian Wallis, who should be very accessible as can be seen from the bio below that he has supplied.

After research on amino acid metabolism in chickens I did a PhD on comparative nutrition and physiology in rat kangaroos. At this time I also taught animal and human nutrition.  I then worked on the nutrition, physiology and ecology of desert tortoises at UCLA in California before going to Scotland to study similar aspects of voles before once again turning to poultry.  Back in Australia most of my research has been on eucalypt chemistry and the nutrition and physiology of the animals that eat them. I have kept bees for about 40 years and dabbled in bee research, again nutrition.  I have published about 100 scientific papers mainly in international journals.